|Job Title||Health Officer|
|Classification Level||Band 5|
|Organizational Unit / Duty Station
(Department / Zone Office / Delegation….. etc)
|Country Cluster Support Team (CCST) – Beijing|
|Immediate Supervisor’s Title||Disaster Risk Management Delegate|
|Second line manager||Head of Country Cluster Support Team-Beijing|
|Number of Direct Reports
|Number of Indirect Reports
|The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest volunteer-based humanitarian network. Together with our 190 National Societies worldwide, we reach 97 million people annual through long-term service and development programmes as well as 85 million people through disaster response and recovery programmes.
The four countries supported by the IFRC country cluster support team in Beijing – China, Japan, Mongolia and Republic of Korea, cover 28 per cent of the Asian continent and comprising 1.5 billion people. Disasters, poverty, unprecedented aging of the population, urbanization and migration contribute to increased vulnerability in this region. The population are also exposed to increased health risks due to epidemics, communicable and non-communicable diseases.
The IFRC office supports Red Cross Red Crescent Societies in East Asia in becoming stronger at home and abroad and in both disaster response operations and sustainable development initiatives. We act as a resource centre and conduct for exploration and adaptation of global initiatives to meet the sub-region’s needs and capacities.
|The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies “Strategy 2020” recognizes the changing demography of the world, the increasing impact of climate change, unplanned urbanization, high levels of violence in society, involuntary migration pressures, new and emerging diseases, environmental degradation and the insecurity of access to water, food and natural resources as underlying causes of vulnerability. These trends are likely to result in different patterns of vulnerability as they interact in the future. Furthermore an already emerging pattern of increased small to medium scale disasters will require realignment of preparedness, response and recovery capacities of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
In order to meet these challenges Strategy 2020 has three strategic aims, to:
Aim 1- Save lives, protect livelihoods and prepare for and recover from disasters and crises.
Aim 2- Enable safer and healthy living.
Aim 3- Promote social inclusion and culture of non-violence.
To achieve these aims the International Federation will seek to build strong National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, pursue humanitarian diplomacy to prevent and reduce vulnerability and function effectively as the International Federation.
|Under the direct supervision of DRM Manager, the Health Officer will provide project services in Health programming to the National Societies of East Asia supported by Country Cluster Support Team (CCST) – Beijing. The incument shall be in charge of programme cycle management for a portfolio of health projects in support of an integrated approach to community resilience which will encompass critical sectors in Water, Sanitation, Hygiene Promotion, Community Based Health and First Aid (CBHFA), prevention of Non-Communicable Disease, Social Care as well as enhancing emergency health response mechanisms pertaining to Disaster Risk Management. As a member of IFRC CCST-Beijing, the Officer shall work in a multistakeholder and multidisciplinary environment and shall support in coordination, development, implementation and monitoring of health programme in a harmonized approach in East Asia. The candidate will ensure close communication with DRM Manger and technical coordination in collaboration with IFRC’s Asia Pacific Regional Health Coordinator and other relevant internal and external stakeholders.|
Job duties and responsibilities
· Provide support in coordination of development and implementation of health projects and proposals that will reach out to large populations in East Asian communities in support of enhancing community resilience and to assist in addressing, preventing or preparing for response to identified health risks and opportunities for interventions.
· Collaborate closely with Health focal persons in National Societies of East Asia to promote and coordinate planning and implentation of projects and activities associated with IFRC Operational Plan and appeals in an integrated manner with other thematic areas such DRM, NSD, PRD and cross cutting (gender & Diversity, do-no-harm…) and be responsible for the PMER component to support preparing plans, programme updates, reports, and conduct field visits for monitoring and evaluations.
· Help in negotiation and preparation of health project agreements, budgets and plans of action with all National Societies covered by the CCST in East Asia and follow up and report progress regularily.
· Contribute to emergency or disaster-related health response and in support of effective disaster preparedness efforts, technical and operational excellence, best practices and lessons learnt.
· Lead and coordinate all required project activities and training support to East Asia NS in their community awareness activities to prevent and control, NCD, TB, HIV/AIDS, Health in Emergencies (examples: MERS, SARS), Water and Sanitation/Hygien Promotion and Aging Care in targeted areas with high potential for scalability in partnership with regional ONS and PNS.
· Faciliate, support, and promote specific plan of action for National Societies of China and Mongolia to commercialize their First Aid trainings at large scale with potential to significantly contribute to 1 BC initiative and demonstrate an enhanced involvement of volunteers and youth in health promotion programs including but not limited to Volunteers on Wheels (VoW).
· Work actively to implement capacity building activities in National Society branches with clear targets and indicators to develop, test, and enhance appropriateness of Epidemics Contingency Plans in coordination with national and local authorities such as NDMA, meteorological agency & related local administrations.
· Assist in promoting and seeking partnership with relevant academic institutions to access cutting edge disaster research knowledge in Health sector and keep up-to-date with scientific developments in the international public health and also provide opportunities for students to be exposed and learn and contribute to the work of the Movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent.
· Represent the Federation at relevant regional and national meetings in the health sector and promote, facilitate engagement of the National Society counterparts and participate actively in effective shaping the works of the Federation in a shared leadership approach.
Duties applicable to all staff
|1.||Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals|
|2.||Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles|
|3.||Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager|
|Professional qualification as a health practitioner (registered Nurse or Medical Doctor)||X|
|Post graduate qualification in public health||X|
|Further qualification in control of communicable ornon-communicable disease, public health courses||X|
|2 Experience of working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent||XXX|
|At least 3 years of professional experience relatedto humanitarian aid in developing country/emergency settings||X|
|At least 3 years of experience in managing projects/programmes||X|
|Proven experience of project cycle management and budgeting||X|
|Experience in working through implementing partners and donor agencies||X|
|Experience with the East Asian context||X|
|Knowledge and Skills||Required||Preferred|
|Self-supporting in computers (Windows, spreadsheets, word-processing)||X|
|Experience in capacity building||X|
|Excellent skills in networking/relationship with other agencies and organisations||X|
|Indepth understanding and knowledge of health systems in humanitarian sector||X|
|Advance spoken and written English||X|
|Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)||X|
|Other languages: Mandarin||X|
|Competencies (to be filled in by HR)|
|Collaboration and Teamwork|
|Judgement and Decision Making|
|National Society and Customer Relations|
|Creativity and Innovation|
Interested candidates shall send their detailed CVs to the following email account: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 17:00 PM Nov. 11th, 2018.
Please mark the position, name and website name of the JD posting in the ‘subject’ of the mail(e.g. Executive Officer + Zhang San + China Development).