Innovation Specialist – China
|Advertised on behalf of :|
|Location :||Home based with possible travels to countries in Asia and Middle East, CHINA|
|Application Deadline :||05-Feb-20 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Additional Category :||Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||National Consultant|
|Languages Required :||English Chinese|
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Up to 300 days over 24 months per consultant with max of 150 days per 12 month period.|
|UNCDF is the UN’s capital investment agency for the world’s 47 Least Developed Countries (LDC). UNCDF uses its capital mandate to support LDCs pursue inclusive growth. UNCDF promotes financial inclusion, also through digital financial services (DFS), as a key enabler of poverty reduction and inclusive growth; and it demonstrates how localizing finance outside the capital cities can accelerate growth in local economies, promote sustainable and climate-resilient infrastructure development, and empower local communities. Using capital grants, loans and credit enhancements, UNCDF tests financial models in inclusive finance and local development finance; ‘de-risks’ the local investment space; and provides proofs of concept, paving the way for larger and more risk-averse investors. Please refer to www.uncdf.org.
Recently, UNCDF has formulated its strategy ‘Leaving no one behind in the digital era’ based on over a decade of experience in digital finance in Africa, Asia and the Pacific. UNCDF recognizes that reaching the full potential of digital financial inclusion in support of the Sustainable Development Goals aligns with the vision of promoting digital economies that leave no one behind. The vision of UNCDF is to empower millions of people by 2024 to use services daily that leverage innovation and technology and contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals. UNCDF will apply a market development approach and continuously seek to address underlying market dysfunctions. Please refer to
In complementing the digital economy focus, UNCDF has been investing into areas of emerging topics through various global centers. The purpose of these centers is to drive learning on different thematic areas that includes financial health, Islamic finance, etc. As part of these engagements UNCDF has been focused on development of new use-cases that are commercially deployed for test and learn. In addition to the work in these global centres and as part of its focus on inclusive digital economies in programme countries. UNCDF has been working on bringing together companies to design, develop, test and refine digital solutions supported under a structured environment and with ready to use tools. Inspired by how technology can leapfrog limitations and pain points in today’s user experience, as well as imagine new uses for technology to address access, literacy, security, and other barriers. Ultimately, to create innovative user experiences that will help low-income people move from distrust, disenfranchisement, and exclusion to become confident and empowered.
The proposed approach focuses on supporting innovative solutions delivered by focus on:
• Incumbent stakeholders (companies, providers, government) by building innovation mindset, team and processes
• Small and start-ups companies by providing access to finance, crowdsourcing, human centered design support, industry sandbox, business to business linkages that will allow to scale.
Duties and Responsibilities
|UNCDF would like to enter into a non-exclusive Framework Agreement, also known as Long-Term Agreement (LTA), with one or more individuals that will perform the services described below on a need-basis. In UNCDF, an LTA is a framework agreement by and between UNCDF and a company or individual where the latter may, at any time within the duration of the LTA, be required to render the agreed services at the agreed and fixed unit prices for a period of 3 years.
Under an LTA, UNCDF does not guarantee that any specific quantity of services shall be purchased during the term of this agreement. The LTA does not form a financial obligation or commitment from UNCDF at the time the LTA contract is signed and that such an agreement is non-exclusive.
Where a request for service arises, UNCDF can engage the individual on LTA through a “call-off” of the LTA.
Every call-off shall have specific tasks, scope of services and outputs to be delivered within a specific period of time. For this particular work, the call-off shall be formalized through the issuance of a Purchase Order, attaching thereto the TOR, and any other document relevant to the call-off. Financial commitments will only be established each time a Purchase Order for the specific services/TOR for Individual Contractor is committed. Where there are multiple consultants qualified to perform the services on an assignment, UNCDF may conduct a secondary competition among them in order to determine who should receive the call-off. The criteria for such selection shall be limited only to the lowest priced offer among those who confirmed availability.
The LTA shall have a cumulative ceiling amount that may accrue to the individual contractor during the life of the LTA, but said amount shall remain as an upper limit, and must not and cannot be interpreted nor understood as neither a financial commitment nor guarantee of business volume. The said limit shall be inclusive of both professional fees and all other travel entitlements received by the consultant.
The objective of this consultancy is to support the work on innovations as it relates to development of new use-cases by providing technical assistance that includes design of challenge, delivery of tools as part of innovation journey that includes competitions, bootcamps, hackathon, etc, to the themes like financial health, Islamic finance, digital economy, others in selected UNCDF countries.
Candidates applying through their company or network should apply as individual candidates and shall indicate in the technical proposal and in the methodological approach possible support services (peer review, editing, formatting) that will be utilized to ensure the quality of the results/deliverables. These costs should be included in the technical-financial offer.
In addition to this ToR UNCDF is also onboarding senior level innovation specialist in Asia region. As UNCDF would create challenge/competition in one markets or multiple markets, it would set-up a team drawn from Senior Innovation Specialist and Innovation Specialist (hired under this ToR) to deliver on specific challenge/competition. One of the selected individual contractors under ToR for Senior Innovation Specialist for a specific challenge/competition will have a team leader/coordinator role and will thus oversee the work of the other ICs (Innovation Specialist under this ToR), in close collaboration with the UNCDF regional coordinator for innovation, e.g. by developing briefings and debriefings, quality assurance of outputs/deliverables/methodology, technical review of draft reports and methodology, and so forth.
Scope of Work
Working under the direct supervision of the Regional Manager Asia or the appointee, and in close collaboration with private sector players/enablers and UNCDF country teams or center team, the consultant(s) will be responsible for providing technical support to innovation programme. The outcome of these engagements would be successful execution of innovation program that would allow for testing and scaling of solutions by participants of the said program.
The objectives are:
• Develop capabilities for UNCDF’s program participants (i.e. Entrepreneurs, founders, employees) and assist them in their journey to create and valid their proposed solutions.
• Develop capabilities for organizations selected by UNCDF and assist them in their corporate innovation journey to create and validate their proposed solutions.
• To partner with organizations to look for inclusive digital innovation solutions that can benefit the underserved market.
The below table provides an indicative overview of the scope that UNCDF will request to perform to the consultants:
In performing the tasks, the incumbent will, inter alia, undertake, organize or facilitate (remote or in-country) consultations, workshops, and on-the-job learning, as agreed during the inception phase.
As previously informed, the consultants selected under this ToR will work alongside the team leader chosen for the overall challenge execution. And assist with driving the challenge structure design and execution, working in close collaboration with others in team. The consultants would work in close collaboration with team at UNCDF coordinating the innovation work. His/her functions will include, inter alia:
• developing briefings and debriefings on missions and assignments;
• Ensuring standards and quality of outputs/deliverables/methodology are observed and applied;
• Develop reports, methodology and other documents submitted by the team;
|DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT, DUTY STATION AND EXPECTED PLACES OF TRAVEL
Job type Long-Term Agreement (LTA) as part time based on specific assignment and deliverables. Under the LTA, a Terms of Reference (TORs) which indicate a set of clear deliverables, budget and timelines will be prepared, agreed and approved by UNCDF prior to each assignment and/or mission. The payment will be made based on satisfactory completion of assignment and submission of deliverables under the specific assignment, and within the terms of approved ToRs.
Duration: Up to 300 days over 24 months per consultant with max of 150 days per 12-month period.
Duty Station and expected places of travel: Home based with missions to the country assigned based on the weeks/days indicated in specific challenge ToR.
The schedule of travel will be agreed on with the incumbent according to the requirements of each programme country. Travel costs associated to the assignment will be paid following the UN rules and regulations which is Economy Ticket + Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) for specific countries which would be shared based on the challenge country and field work involved. For engagements in Home Based, the DSA would not be applicable.
PROVISION OF MONITORING AND PROGRESS CONTROLS
A schedule of days worked, outputs produced, and costs incurred will be monitored by the Regional Manager or its appointee.
Payment to the Individual Contractor will be made based on the actual number of days agreed with UNCDF as reflected in the call-off (PO) and upon certification of satisfactory completion and acceptance of the output by the UNCDF.
Supporting documents that will serve as conditions for disbursement are as follows: (i) submission of invoice and Certificate of Payment form; (ii) review, approval and written acceptance of outputs for each deliverable by the UNCDF Programme Manager; (iii) submission of time sheet and expenses with relevant documentation; and (iv) authorization of payment disbursement from UNCDF programme manager.
DEGREE OF EXPERTISE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
• Demonstrated knowledge of managing accelerator and incubator programmes, with a focus on financial products enabled by digital solutions, is preferred.
• Significant experience on using some of the tools like human-centered design (design research / design thinking) research methodologies, design thinking, Agile, Service Design, Lean Start-Up Method, liberated structures; and
• Strong analytical skills, particularly applied to financial services and digital innovations;
• Proven experience in developing and implementing best practice methodological approaches for supporting innovative solutions specially understanding the impact that it would create for certain market segment or sector
• Ability to identify needs and interventions for capacity enhancement of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
• Ability to take responsibility for achieving agreed outputs within set deadlines;
• Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The consultant will have the following qualifications and experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in business, law, engineering, computer science, marketing, social sciences, psychology and/or related discipline is mandatory.
Professional Experience and Skills:
• At least (3) three years of overall experience and at-least (2) three years of working in the Asia-Pacific region is mandatory;
• At-least 2 years of work experience in the space of behavioral science, iterative testing, deign thinking, gamification, liberated structures, etc is mandatory
• At-least 2 years of experience where it relates to designing and supporting innovations around either digital or financial services;
• Experience of working in China would be preferred;
• Experience in capacity development and institutional strengthening in developing countries, ideally in the context of working with start-ups or large corporates;
• Strong analytical and writing skills and track record in producing relevant presentations, reports and other communications and knowledge materials;
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills and experience in organizing and facilitating consultations and workshops;
• Sensitivity to diverse opinions and difficulties arising from differing social and cultural perceptions;
• Fluency in English and Mandarin is required.
Required Skills and Experience
|Documents to be included with submitting proposal (In English Language or with English translation)
Interested consultants are requested to submit the offer comprising of
1.Personal profile including
• CV and P.11 including past experience in similar projects;
• 1 page of cover letter describing why the candidate is the most suitable for the assignment;
• Confirmation of availability to take up assignments for the whole period;
• Name and contact details of 3 references.
1. Financial proposal (Link to download: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1uiUrHdcM1ftWArkfTM4rIw Code: sdc4)
• Price will be offered in Daily professional fee in US Dollar. To submit the financial proposal, please use the template for submission of financial proposals provided in job advertisement. The financial proposal should be in a separate document from the technical proposal and other document (1) – (3) under this section.
Evaluation of the offer
Applications will be rated on both technical and financial submissions.
Evaluation of the proposal will be the combined scoring method. The award of the contract will be made to the individual consultants whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
• Responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
• Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
The formula for the rating of the Proposals will be as follows:
Rating the Technical Proposal (TP): 70%
TP Rating = (Total Score Obtained by the Offer / Max. Obtainable Score for TP) x 100
Rating the Financial Proposal (FP): 30%
FP Rating = (Lowest Priced Offer / Price of the Offer Being Reviewed) x 100
Total Combined Score:
(TP Rating) x (Weight of TP, e.g. 70%)
+ (FP Rating) x (Weight of FP, e.g., 30%)
Total Combined and Final Rating of the Proposal
Step I: Screening/Longlisting:
Applications will be screened and only applicants meeting the following minimum criteria will progress to the pool for shortlisting:
Education as per required qualification
A minimum 3 years of relevant professional experience in the required fields
Step II: Shortlisting by Desk Review:
UNCDF will conduct a desk review to produce a shortlist of candidates by evaluating the following criteria with the corresponding points (100 points)
*Technical Criteria weight: 70%
Total maximum obtainable score for Technical proposal = 100 points
Only candidates obtaining a minimum score of 70 points under technical evaluation will be considered for the financial evaluation
Step III: Financial Proposal Evaluation:
The following formula will be used to evaluate financial proposal:
Lowest Financial proposal/price of the proposal being evaluated X 30%. Lowest Financial Proposal refers to the lowest price offered by Offerors scoring at least 70 points in the technical evaluation.
Step IV: Selection
The contract shall be awarded to up to 4 applicants whose offers have been evaluated and determined as: responsive/compliant/acceptable and having received the highest combined weight technical proposal 70% + financial 30%= 100%. Should one or more candidates obtain the same Total Combined Score, the one with highest score on the proposed approach and methodology shall have precedence over the other.
Up to 4 candidates obtaining highest combined scoring in the final round of evaluation will be offered to enter into a Long Tern Agreement with UNCDF under this procurement notice. The successful candidates under this LTA will be selected for specific assignments based on availability and language ability.
Shortlisted Candidate may be required by UNCDF to submit a “CONFLICT OF INTEREST DISCLOSURE FORM” prior to, or at the time, of contracting
Warning: Individual Consultants are responsible for ensuring they have vaccinations/inoculations when traveling to certain countries, as designated by the UN Medical Director. Consultants are also required to comply with the UN security directives set forth under dss.un.org
Both individual consultants and individuals employed by a company or institution are welcome to apply. Any individual employed by a company or institution who would like to submit an offer in response to a Procurement Notice for IC must do so in their individual capacity (providing a CV so that their qualifications may be judged accordingly).
Women candidates or women-owned businesses are strongly encouraged to apply. UNCDF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Please include all documents into one file while submitting your application.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.