Job Number: 520905 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Asia and the Pacific: China
Work Type : Internship
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, care
China is making progress to ensure that vulnerable children are able to access child protection services. UNICEF works with the Chinese government to help develop and expand the best possible child protection measures. Our Child Protection programme helps children across China, primarily in remote rural areas, among ethnic minority groups, and on urban streets. We work on a wide range of projects, including piloting programs to help reintegrate street children into society, contributing to the development of day care centres that provide services to disabled children, facilitating the provision of services like education and healthcare to migrant children, and collaborating with authorities on procedures for responding to child trafficking.
How can you make a difference?
We are now looking for multiple interns to join our Child Protection team. The selected interns will work in one of the following two areas.
- Social work oriented interns – to support and improve programme documentation as well as knowledge management related to social work for children.
- Child welfare, research, or child protection oriented interns – To support and improve programme communication, documentation as well as knowledge management.
The social work oriented interns will
- Collect and summarize policy papers and good practices from other countries on professional social work system, including: policy documents on social worker’s statutory role in child related work, in particular in child protection, including mandatory reporting, and required social work positions in the government structure; policy on the accreditation for social workers; standard and indicators for social work for children; assessment framework of the service provided by social work agencies by the government;
- Collect and summarize good practices of para-social work’s roles and functions, including job description and minimum requirements of para-social workers; career development and support for para-social workers, such as training materials, coaching, supervision, link with professional social work agencies; good practice in providing social work services in rural/remote areas; and using online platforms/apps as a tool to provide capacity building.
- Assist in collection and analysis of project related data, including case studies from the field, for sharing with partners implementing the pilot;
- Contribute to project discussion on social work online learning platform;
- Support translation between English and Chinese of project related documents
The child protection oriented interns will work on:
- Summary and translation of Provincial Child State Report from Chinese to English
- Chinese to English translation of Barefoot Social Worker Project annual report and posters
- Chinese to English translation of 2018 Child Welfare Policy Stocktaking report
- Chinese to English translation of other short project related documents and materials, including agenda and participants list of events, conference, meetings.
- Support the development of on-line and simplified workshop Barefoot Social Worker (BFSW) training modules.
- Convert key messages into WeChat format for BFSW public Wechat and Weibo APPs
- Convert existing training material into video/ppt
- Support the updating of child welfare/protection advocator guide and conduct training workshop
- Participate in Child advocators trainings and school-based awareness raising on child protection
- Support High level advocacy summer camp and national social mobilization event for the care of vulnerable children in July
To qualify as an intern you will be / have…
- A university student with major in social work (social work oriented interns) or in english, arts, child welfare for child protection oriented intern
- Previous volunteer/intern experience desired but not necessary.
- Fluency in English and Chinese is required.
- Good computer skill is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Opening Date Thu Mar 28 2019 09:00:00 GMT+0800 (中国标准时间) China Standard Time
Closing Date Thu Apr 11 2019 23:55:00 GMT+0800 (中国标准时间)