Job Title Manager, Evidence Measurement & Evaluation (Climate – Asia)
Reports to Director, Evidence Measurement & Evaluation (Climate) Dotted line to CIFF Chief Representative, China
Location Beijing, with travel
We are an independent philanthropic organisation, headquartered in London with offices in Addis, Beijing, Nairobi and New Delhi. We work with a wide range of partners seeking to transform the lives of poor and vulnerable children in developing countries. This involves supporting bold ideas to solve seemingly intractable challenges for children.
We know that the returns on smart investments in children’s early development are very high. So we aim to play a catalytic role as a funder and influencer to deliver urgent and lasting change at scale. Areas of work include children and mothers’ health and nutrition, deworming and welfare, and smart ways to slow down and stop climate change.
We place significant emphasis on quality data and evidence. For most of our grants, we work with partners to measure and evaluate progress to achieve large scale and sustainable impact. We are committed to sharing as much information as possible about what we and our partners are learning.
Founded in 2004, CIFF employs approximately 80 professionals in England, Africa, India and China. CIFF strives to couple business acumen and principles with development experience and best practices to transform the landscape for children. It seeks to be the gold standard in grant making and foundation operations.
For more information please visit www.ciff.org
Main purpose of the role:
This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned professional to join CIFF and help shape and drive evidence, measurement and evaluation within its Climate portfolio in China, as well as in other regions in East and Southeast Asia (hereafter “Asia”). The EME Manager will be a member of the EME team and will be based in Beijing, reporting directly to EME to maintain independence, and with a dotted reporting line to the CIFF Chief Representative in Beijing. The Manager’s role is to ensure that CIFF’s investments are informed by a robust evidence base, are designed to achieve tangible impact consistent with CIFF’s vision and have effective measurement and evaluation systems.
Strategy & planning
• Manage analysis and research on specific projects and sector trends, as required, to support the Climate and related EME trends determining future strategic priorities and setting operational plans.
• Support the EME Climate Director and Asia climate team in the organisation, coordination, documentation and professional presentation of EME outputs for the strategy and planning process.
• Work with members of the Finance team to coordinate and contribute to budget forecasting budget and disbursement for programming aligned with organizational strategic and accountability priorities.
Programme development, delivery & performance
• Ensure CIFF conducts robust appraisals of the evidence base, cost-effectiveness and impact potential of climate investments, and prepare rigorous measurement and evaluation frameworks;
• Throughout the lifecycle of investments, ensure timely and accurate monitoring and evaluation data is available and is proactively used by CIFF and its partners to make programmatic adjustments and course-corrections;
• Plan for, source, hire and manage independent, external evaluations and operational research exercises to inform operational and longer-term, strategic decision making;
• Grant administration and management, including contracting, approvals and processing of financial requests and progress reports. This includes regular and ad hoc reporting on the Asia climate portfolio.
Sector knowledge and profile-building
• Ensure CIFF remains current with best practice and trends in EME modalities and developments within its portfolio areas;
• Drive effective dissemination of evidence and data, where findings from CIFF investments are used to influence regional and global policy and practice;
• Support and manage EME capacity development for the CIFF climate portfolio in Asia, including the preparation and delivery of training and related learning mediums for EME within CIFF and with its partners.
• Support the uptake of innovative approaches and technology to monitor, evaluate and report on the impact of CIFF’s Climate investments;
Stakeholder and partner management
• Represent CIFF and manage relationships with implementation and evaluation partners (organisations and consultants), especially in Asia, in a supportive and pragmatic way;
• Proactively maintain external networks with subject matter experts within the measurement and evaluation community, with attention to Asia, to ensure CIFF’s thinking and decision-making is shaped by the most up-to-date insights and research.
• Work and travel across multiple time zones on a regular basis.
Qualifications & Experience
• Relevant Masters or PhD qualification.
• Proven track record in the strategic planning for and measurement and evaluation of climate mitigation programmes, including but not limited to power sector reform, renewable and clean energy, air quality, carbon pricing, low carbon cities, cooling efficiency, environmental governance, and/or land use.
• Regional focus on climate change EME in China required, and in Southeast and East Asia an advantage.
• Expertise in commissioning and managing evaluations and related EME consultancies.
• Experience in a range of qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis methods for climate change EME;
• Experience in shaping and applying advocacy and policy change measurement approaches an advantage.
• Experience in interpreting, communicating and leveraging evidence and evaluation findings to inform both strategic and real-time operational decision making.
• Demonstrable experience of working and influencing at senior levels, especially in the use of evidence to impact policy level decisions.
• Experience in M&E capacity development, including the preparation and delivery of M&E learning, and assessment of organisational M&E development needs.
• Well-versed in the professional standards, principles and ethics of M&E.
• Experience with multitasking and managing priorities with competing deadlines and multiple stakeholders.
• Significant work experience in the M&E and international development fields in China and abroad.
• Full professional fluency in spoken and written English and Chinese required; fluency in one or more Southeast and South Asian languages is an advantage.
• Passionate about driving systemic change for zero-carbon future.
• A self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
• Ability to work under pressure on a large volume of projects simultaneously.
• Self-motivated to assist with the development of the portfolio.
• Capacity to work in a range of cultural and socio-economic contexts.
• Able and willing to travel domestically and internationally.
Achieves outstanding results through commitment, planning, informed judgement and action in line with overall intent
Proactively builds valuable partnerships based on teamwork, transparency and mutual respect to bring about sustainable change
Improve and Innovate
Exercises commercial and entrepreneurial thinking for greater effectiveness and impact
Inspire and Influence
Builds trust by expressing compelling and tailored messages which enable CIFF to be catalytic and create momentum
Passion and Perspective
Is passionate about CIFF’s mission, and always keeps the drive for systemic change in mind
Leading for Impact
Leads the organisation by providing coherent vision, direction and support in seeking impact for children