Monitoring and Evaluation Officer丨UNDP
UNDP is the United Nations’ global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. It is on the ground in about 170 countries, working on solutions to global and national development challenges. Through partnerships and innovation, UNDP has been striving in China to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by reducing poverty and inequality, promoting environmental sustainability, and enhancing global partnerships.
Planning, monitoring and evaluation come together as results-based management (RBM). M&E is key to good project management. They are the mechanisms through which project managers and institutions keep themselves abreast of whether or not a project or a process is on track; or whether mitigation actions are to be taken to counteract delays, disagreements, changes in the project environment etc., which is expected to affect the planned project objectives/outcomes/outputs.
UNDP China programme is in line with the UNDP corporate Strategic Plan and Country Programme Document (CPD). In this context, the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) contributes directly to UNDP’s commitment to delivering high-quality programmes underpinned by stronger results-based management (RBM), delivering results in a fast, efficient and transparent way.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Deputy Resident Representative, the M & E Officer will be responsible for facilitating office-wide M&E and programme support functions in the UNDP China office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Overall result-based management (RBM)
- Programme and policy management (PPM) support and knowledge management
- Liaison with HQ/regional hub and overall coordination
1. Overall result-based management (RBM)
- Coordinate the formation and operationalization of the new CPD; Facilitate progress reporting and tracking towards the milestones and targets set on the SP and CPD.
- Coordinate the office-wide monitoring and reporting of Integrated Work Plan (IWP), office annual reporting (ROAR), transparency initiative (IATI), cooperate project quality assurance (QA), and all other M&E compliance work. Ensure multiple M&E related dashboards are clear.
- Provide oversight in the monitoring of project activities, and assess overall project implementation with respect to delivery, project objectives, outputs and indicators; Conduct regular data collection and field monitoring.
- Develop and maintain a series of suitable and innovative tools/dashboards to capture the overall progress of the office; On a regular basis, update the management team on the progress and status from multiple dimensions.
- In coordination with programme colleagues, ensure timely submission of project work plans, quarterly reports, annual reports, etc. from implementing partners and PMOs. Review and provide quality assurance prior to finalization.
- Monitor and follow up those management actions in response to the Independent Country Programme Evaluation (ICPE), management audit, decentralized project evaluations, etc. and ensure all key actions are well carried out and completed.
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, participate and assist in inter-agency monitoring and evaluation activities, including the UNSDCF periodical review.
2. Programme and policy management (PPM) support and knowledge management
- Provide guidance on the suitable modalities and instruments for effective implementation of projects and engagement with partners. Oversee and institutionalize internal standard PPM processes and templates.
- Based on results of monitoring, where necessary, undertake troubleshooting and suggest corrective measures; Provide advisory and support for communication and negotiation with external stakeholders.
- Review the instruments to be signed throughout the project life cycle, and ensure full compliance with the latest rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Maintain and archive all documentations signed/completed during project life, such as, project documents, work plans, etc. and ensure those are well in place.
- Keep abreast of the latest UNDP M&E guidelines and policies and ensure those are strictly obeyed and implemented in the office. Synthesize the internal good practices and lessons learned.
- Deliver and facilitate office-wide training and learning sessions on key subjects, and promote the overall capacities and technical knowledge of programme colleagues; When necessary, organize and/or deliver thematic training to external stakeholders, such as the IP, PMO, etc.
3. Liaison with HQ/regional hub and overall coordination
- Act as the overall M&E focal point to UNDP HQ and regional hub. Ensure all assignments from HQ/regional hub are well taken care of.
- Coordinate with programme colleagues and external partners, and facilitate regular internal and external meetings, correspondences and other M&E related activities.
- Provide advisory to the management team on those items in need of actions. Undertake any other ad-hoc tasks as directed by the senior management team.
Impact of Results
- Effective management and implementation of the projects and full compliance with guidelines; Standardized workflow of projects’ implementation;
- Enhanced in-office RBM and project management capacities; Institutionalized lessons learned and knowledge management process;
- Effective operationalization and progress monitoring towards the SP and new CPD;
- Improved communication with various partners.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Relations, Political Science, Economics or related social sciences.
At least 2 years of relevant experience in international development issues. Some experience in monitoring and evaluation with a background and interest in the analysis of socio-economic issues and related policy matters. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.