The Ford Foundation China Office seeks a dynamic and collaborative Program Assistant to support the grant making team based in Beijing. This role provides key administrative support to three (3) Program Officers who serve as grant-makers for the foundation. This role manages various activities for the Program Officers including meetings and some grants administration and helps to manage the various workflows of program staff and of the program team more generally. The program team is headed by a Regional Director and includes three Program Officers, a Program Associate and a Grants Manager. The Program Assistant is also expected to work as a bridge between the program team and the operations team to ensure a smooth-running office and to deliver on office-wide projects and events.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously and demonstrated capacity to manage complex tasks on a deadline. The candidate will be self-motivated, flexible, have excellent judgement, and be able to prioritize work independently. Strong communication skills, in both English and Chinese, are a must. Experience working in international organizations (this could include businesses, international NGOs or foundations, or bilateral and multilateral organizations) is strongly desired.
The Ford Foundation is an independent, private, nonprofit grant-making organization. For more than 80 years it has worked with visionary people worldwide, guided by its mission to strengthen democratic values, reduce poverty and injustice, promote international cooperation, and advance human achievement. With headquarters in New York, the foundation has ten regional offices in Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, and Asia, including China.
Our main areas of focus in the China office currently include:
- Seeking to ensure that the impact of Chinese development finance projects in the global south are equitable and sustainable.
- Strengthening the philanthropy and impact investing ecosystems in China.
- Strengthening US-China relations.
The Foundation strives to achieve these goals by working with government partners, social organizations, academics and policy makers, business, and other philanthropies.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant social science field and 1-2 years’ experience working in a program-related support capacity
- Strong commitment to promoting social justice
- Detailed knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the use of office computer applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Google platforms, and databases;
- Demonstrated proficiency in utilizing online information resources and data tools for information retrieval and data entry. Capacity to undertake Internet-based research;
- Effective oral and written communications skills and the ability to handle communications tactfully and professionally to build and maintain rapport with stakeholders;
- Ability to prioritize work assignments, handle multiple tasks and function independently;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work in diverse teams cheerfully with shared responsibility and accountability in a multi-faceted, multitasking international environment;
- Fluency in Mandarin Chinese and English
Alignment to the mission and culture of the Ford Foundation:
- Commitment to the Foundation’s mission and core values of equity, openness, collaboration, trust, accountability and urgency
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and a sense of humor
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues
- Action-orientated self-starter who can work well independently and in teams
Location: Beijing, China
Salary: Salary is based on experience and on the Foundation’s commitment to internal equity. A generous local benefits package is provided.
The appointment is available immediately. The closing date for applications is March 6, 2020. Suitable candidates will be contacted by March 20, 2020. Please do not call us. Applicants who haven’t received a response by April 1, 2020 should regard their application as unsuccessful.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter in English and resume in both English and Chinese to email@example.com
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at The Ford Foundation, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.