Asia has been one of the regions hardest hit by natural disasters. In the past decades, great efforts have been made to strengthen community resilience and disaster preparedness in various countries in Asia, and rich experience has been accumulated. Despite the increasing interests and needs among countries to share and learn from each other, the lack of sustainable exchange mechanisms and coordination among disaster-prone Asian countries remains a significant challenge. Disaster preparedness as a globally recognized approach to strengthen community resilience needs to be further institutionalized and mainstreamed into the policies and practices of developing countries. The Phase II of CBDM Asia Project, with the support from DFID, is hence designed to promote South-South cooperation on community-based disaster risk reduction (CBDRR) between the U.K., China, Bangladesh and Nepal, as well other developing countries in Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
The objective of the assignment is to strengthen the effectiveness of programme financial management through high-quality financial skills and regular monitor including, but not limited to, real time financial supervision, audit support, compilation of programme budget, financial reports and keeping records of procurement, fixed assets, and accounting in line with DFID and UNDP financial rules, as well as CBDM project management manual. S/he will collaborate with donor and implementing partners to share analysis and to support smooth financial status. In addition, S/he will support programme coordination and implementation including events organizing and provide logistic support to international partners.
• Prepare and review quarterly budget, financial report, Half Year Budget (HYB) and Annual Work Plan (AWP). Make budget revision in UNDP system. Process payment requests, record and reconcile them against approved AWP and HYB for all activities under the project. Provide financial analysis for quarterly financial report.
• Monitor status of expenditures and allotments, record variations and analyze improvements. Monitor finance balance of Project Management Unit and Implementing Partners.
• In Finance System, create requisitions and prepare payments, make budget check, to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged and (b) availability of funds.
• adequate accounting and reporting systems fused for the management of project resources; adequate internal controls for compliance with policies with respect to the safe custody and adequate management of cash, commitment of expenditures against approved budget, disbursement or payments against liabilities and cash advances to PMO and local communities, project staff, etc.
• Substantive support in competitive and transparent purchase of programme goods and services in accordance with UNDP policies and procedures, and the project management manual; and these are of a quality and quantity that are actually required for the projects.
• Maintain adequate recording, safeguarding and monitoring of project assets, and ensure that the assets are adequately used and only for project purposes.
• Review and update financial report templates and provide financial support to implementation partners on finance management, for example, foreign experts’ payment and contract/agreement review in line with approved budget and relevant requirements.
• Regular communications with DFID and IPs on financial updates and monitor.
PROGRAMME COORDINATION AND MANAGEMENT
• Provides operational management of responsible programmes/projects and ensure that necessary programme management are properly implemented.
• Provide logistics support for missions, events and project related workshops.
• Maintain good communication with implementing partners including other units of the Country Office and with external counterparts at the working level.
• Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
• Support to management of the programme.
• Support programme audit if any and keep liaison with partners on logistics arrangements maintain close communication with audit company on preparations.
• Prepare, process and follow-up on administrative arrangements related to financial issues.
• Maintain project records, documents and correspondence.
• Maintain the project inventory.
• Provide daily administrative support to the PMO.
• Other relevant responsibilities as assigned by the programme manager.
Under the guidance and supervision of the team leader of UNDP disaster management team, the assistant will work closely with disaster management team members as well as CBDM implementing partners and DFID. The assistant will report to UNDP China disaster management team leader.
• Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team and ability to deliver high quality work on time.
• Ability to liaise with stakeholders and partners, including governments, research institutions, civil society.
• Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve operational problems;
• Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
• Strong analytical skills, communication, writing, and networking abilities;
• Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
• Ability to plan, organize, implement, and report on work;
• Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
• Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
• Positive, constructive attitude to work;
• Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
• Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
• Advanced university degree in economics, finance, accounting or a relevant discipline, and a professional accounting/finance qualification certificate from an internationally recognized institute is a plus.
• At least 5 years of experience in financial work including financial statement and review.
• Qualification such as Chartered Accountant (CA), Chartered Certified Accountant (CCA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is desired.
• Proven record of work experience in project management and coordination is plus.
• International development working experience is desired.
• Excellent written and spoken skills in English.
Only applicants submitted through the link could be considered:https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=10099&hrs_jo_pst_seq=1&hrs_site_id=2