UNDP promotes sustainable development to help build resilient nations and to empower people to build better lives. As the UN’s development network, UNDP has drawn on world-wide experience for over four decades to assist China both in developing solutions to its own ongoing development challenges, and in its engagement in global development. Our work focuses on human-centered prosperity, energy & environment, and global partnership. In UNDP’s Country Programme Document 2016-2020, UNDP positioned itself as a policy advisor to support China’s reform. In the coming Country Programme Document 2021-2025, UNDP will continue to be a robust partner to the Chinese government for advising on development cooperation and integrated development approaches in line with the SDGs, including support in reducing multi-dimensional poverty in the Post 2020 Era in China.
The UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development endorsed by 193 UN member states in 2015 puts eliminating poverty as its primary goal. The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) calls for ending poverty in all its forms everywhere by 2030. As the only agency supporting all three pillars of development – economic, social and environmental to bolster UN efforts in China, UNDP provides integrated solutions to understand and address multi-dimensional poverty through a variety of projects.
The team is working with China International Center for Economic and Technical Exchange (CICETE) on several projects addressing multi-dimensional poverty and sustainable development projects, which include projects located in Yunnan, Shanxi, Gansu, Jilin, Henan, Sichuan and Hunan with an aim to build, maintain and improve the function of local organizations, as well as formulating platform and mechanism for sustainable rural socioeconomic development; social protection/elderly care, ethnic women economic empowerment and community/household resilience; and a project in collaboration with the International Poverty Reduction Center in China (IPRCC) to build its capacity in knowledge sharing and communication of the best practice in addressing multi-dimensional poverty globally; amongst others.
Towards this end, the office is looking for a Programme Coordinator to support the work of promoting strategic partnerships through the organization of high-level events, partnership coordination, and programme implementation for multi-dimensional poverty reduction projects under the Team of People, Prosperity and Peace.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager of People, Prosperity and Peace at UNDP China, the Programme Coordinator has the overall responsibility for multi-dimensional poverty reduction project formulation, implementation, and management. The PC will coordinate project activities with relevant Government partners, local PMOs, and other stakeholders at both national and local level. The PC will act under the guidance of the Team Leader of People, Prosperity and Peace, and to refer major executive project decisions to the Programme Manager and Project Steering Committee. The PC is expected to assess support requirements against project objectives and operating environment, as well as provide adequate technical and management support in the field of in reducing multi-dimensional poverty in the Post 2020 Era in China.
Operational Project Management
- Monitor and manage project personnels and external short-term consultants to drive the project in both substantial and operational issues.
- Undertake day to day operational management of the project, including smooth project implementation, efficient use of resources.
- Provision of guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources.
- Make the financial operations of the project transparent and ensure compliance.
- Analysis of the situation in programme, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions.
- Preparation of project documents’ drafts, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements.
- Ensure that UNDP rules and regulations concerning finance, procurement and human resources are adhered to.
Programme Development, Planning and Implementation:
- Draft necessary documents concerning project design and implementation, such as project proposal, work plans etc;
- Oversee support activities in project implementation including procurement, recruitment and operations logistics.
- Draft Terms of Reference for project consultants/experts hired on a short-term basis and ensure proper delivery of technical services and submission of technical and other reports.
- Provide support to the participation and involvement of relevant stakeholders in project activities so that the process is inclusive, participatory and transparent.
- Provide support to the timeliness and quality of the outputs as well as timely preparation of reports on achievements and challenges faced within the project.
- Provide support to delivery of resources and results according to planned targets.
- Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
- Promotes identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned for organizational sharing and learning.
- Support to multi-dimensional poverty reduction in the Post 2020 Era in China.
Advocacy, Partnerships and Resource Mobilization:
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences.
- Support the partnerships building with stakeholders (UN agencies, NGOs, government and donors) in reducing multi-dimensional poverty in the Post 2020 Era in China.
- Support the team in mobilization of resources from different partners. This will include the preparation of due diligence, organization of regular donor meetings and field visits.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrates strong analytical skills and sound judgment;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Excellent teamwork skills and facilitating team work;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to apply technical guideline production procedures;
- Ability to analyze technical requirements in the relevant area;
- Ability to apply organizational policies and procedures.
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in development studies, economics, social sciences or related field;
- 4 years of progressive working experience in development work, multi-dimensional poverty reduction, or related fields;
- Master of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and handling of web-based management systems. Good graphics design is advantageous;
- Familiarity with the Government of China, and with international development agencies.
- Project management experience in the field, multi-dimensional poverty reduction in development agencies, preferably in NGOs and foundations is desirable.
- Experiences with international organizations in the similar field would be asset.
Fluency in written and spoken English and Chinese.