Ellen MacArthur Foundation
Project Manager: China programme
Based in Beijing
We have an exciting opportunity for someone with a strong background in cities and policy work to join our team to further the transition to a circular economy in China.
Background to the programme
Building on the growing international interest in circular economy as a positive growth
strategy, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation is examining the potential for such an approach in the Chinese market.
The Foundation’s initial analytical work yielded compelling statistics and these will shortly be published in a report. This comes in a context of high level official engagement in China on the topic of circular economy, as well as renewed focus nationally on environmental topics, pollution in general and ocean plastics specifically. The overall objective of the programme is to build on existing awareness, and to mobilise a broader momentum and focus on the circular economy in both public and private sectors, and to present the circular economy as an enabler to better forms of economic growth.
What we do:
The Ellen MacArthur Foundation is a charity with the mission to accelerate the transition
to a circular economy. The Foundation works across five interlinking areas:
● Education & learning – inspiring learners to re-think the future through the circular
● Business & government – catalysing circular innovation and creating the conditions for it to scale
● Insight & analysis – providing robust evidence about the benefits and implications
of the transition
● Systemic Initiatives – transforming key material flows to scale the circular economy globally
● Communications – engaging a global audience around the circular economy
Role and responsibilities
The successful candidate will lead in the creation and delivery of a showcase project for
circular economy at the city level in China by:
o Research and analysis. Working with various projects and initiatives of
the Foundation to research and prepare a city pilot to showcase the circular
economy at the city level;
o Stakeholder engagement. Working with a wide range of senior-level
stakeholders ranging from companies, cities, philanthropists, policymakers,
academics and NGOs to students and citizens, to jointly co-create the city
o Internal capability building. Actively contributing to developing the
Foundation’s expertise through the development of the Foundation’s
knowledge repository on cities.
● Strong verbal and written skills in both Mandarin and English
● Strong evidence of relationship management skills
● Must be prepared to travel within China and internationally.
● Previous project management experience (3-5 years)
● Understanding of Chinese policy-making process at national and city level
● Previous experience with city projects (pilots) in China
Please apply (in English) with CV, covering letter and salary expectation to Barbara
Desired starting date: As soon as possible
Salary package: Competitive within the charity sector and
dependent on experience
Location: Beijing, China
Closing date: February 20th 2019.