UNICEF CHINA COUNTRY OFFICE
Functional Title : Senior Advisor (Innovative Financing), P-5
Duty Station : Beijing, China
Vacancy Open: 11 February, 2019
Vacancy Closes: 25 February, 2019
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
For every child, courage
UNICEF seeks to leverage its current relationships with the Chinese government, the private sector and other key partners to deliver more and better results for children at scale around the world.
How can you make a difference?
The Senior Advisor (Innovative Financing) will lead, coordinate and manage UNICEF’s partnerships with China-related financial institutions and funds, developing strategies and workplans to leverage support for the benefit of children in Belt and Road countries and beyond.
• Lead UNICEF’s engagement with China-related financial institutions and funds, building trust in UNICEF’s capacity to deliver and simplifying processes to ensure investments efficiently reach populations in need.
• Develop strategies to support relevant Chinese institutions, and institutions in other countries, to sensitize and build understanding of the situation of children and the SDGs, and review successful development approaches. Explore opportunities with relevant entities for potential programmes for children in other developing countries and how innovative, blended financing structures can progress these strategies.
• With a focus on blended and innovative financing models, monitor and analyze current and emerging issues related to China’s investment in other developing countries. Develop, review and propose new approaches and practices in this area, looking to use funding and financing models as program enablers.
• Develop new partnerships and modalities of working across the United Nations system and with national governments to promote South-South cooperation through innovative, blended financial structures. Facilitate inter and intra-regional activities aimed at promoting best practices in the same.
• Develop and implement annual partnership engagement and resource mobilization plans. Build and support a culture of innovation to drive growth and success.
• Coordinate closely with relevant China Country Office colleagues, in Public Partnerships, Innovations, Supply and Communications, to ensure efficiency at all stages of planning and implementation of the programme.
• Engage with Public Partnerships Division Colleagues, Private Fundraising Partnerships Division colleagues and with the relevant colleagues in headquarters, regional and country offices to coordinate blended and innovative financing-related activities/structures, and accurate and timely reporting on subsequent results.
• Lead in the preparation of high-level visits and other events related to innovative financing and its partners.
• Lead reporting, documentation and dissemination of best practices in blended and innovative financing with China-related financial institutions.
• Lead and manage the innovative financing team and provides leadership and supervision. Establish clear individual performance objectives, goals and timelines; and provide timely guidance to enable the team to achieve their goals.
To qualify as an Senior Advisor (Innovative Financing), and advocate for every child, you will have…
• An advanced University degree in international development, public affairs, international relations, political science, business or another related field.
• At least ten (10) years of progressively responsible professional experience in external relations, liaison and/or any resource-mobilization related activities, preferably in an international organization is required.
• Experience in collaborating with or working in development financial institutions, including but not limited to multilateral development banks and including project structuring and execution, an added advantage.
• Fluency in English is required with knowledge of another UN language, particularly Chinese, considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
• Respect for and adherence to UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Inclusion, Integrity and proven understanding and sensitivity to cultural nuances
• Interpersonal skills, capacity to work with different personalities to deliver on shared results
• Drive for results, setting high standards for the quality of work
• Capacity to think outside of the box and drive innovation
• Strong communication skills, fluently and confidently gathering and expressing and writing opinions and information
• Ability to analyze various sources of information and make rational judgements
• Ability to build effective relationships and maintain a strong network of individuals outside of UNICEF, building strategic partnerships with a range of key stakeholders
• Ability to work strategically to realize UNICEF’s goals
We value diversity and aspire to reflect this in our workforce. In our effort to achieve a gender balance in our current workforce, we particularly encourage applications from qualified male candidates
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.