The Earthworm Foundation (EF) is an international and dynamic non-profit organization (NGO), which helps companies transform their supply chains across the world for the benefit of people and nature.
EF is seeking a motivated team lead based in Beijing, with experience in the natural resources sector (e.g. palm oil, rubber, textiles, agriculture, plantation forestry) and downstream manufacturing facilities. Ideally the candidate will have experience evaluating product supply chains against responsible sourcing procedures (e.g. legality and traceability systems) and international certification standards (e.g. FSC, PEFC, CFCC, and RSPO).
The position has a dual function: working as a Team Lead (50%) and working on specific technical projects for members and clients (50%). The team leadership function will involve overseeing multiple projects to ensure timely delivery of services to members and clients; providing direction/guidance to project managers and their staff; and managing the general direction of EF China. The Team Lead will also periodically participate in strategic senior management planning and business development meetings. The specific project responsibilities will initially be focused on the agribusiness and textiles supply chain projects (palm oil, viscose), but extend into other sectors or commodity groups such as pulp & paper, solid wood products, agricultural products and rubber. As the EF China project work increases and staff are hired, the team leadership role will increase. The Team Lead will assume more country leadership responsibilities ensuring the effective management and leadership of a small yet highly motivated and dynamic team.
The Team Lead is not only a skilled professional but also a whole-hearted people leader, bringing strong team building/leadership, project management, verbal and written as well as proactive communication skills, being passionate about environmental and socio-economic sustainability. He/She should also be interested in a career with a dynamic non-profit that builds relationships with companies, governments and civil society organizations to bring responsible products to market in a constantly evolving, complex environment. Further, he/she should have strong expertise in dataset analysis (Excel), presentations (PowerPoint, GIS, Power BI) and technical reporting (MS Word).
About The Earthworm Foundation
Earthworm Foundation currently has presence in 20 countries including Indonesia, Malaysia, China, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, India, and several locations within West Africa, Europe and the Americas. We employ 210 people worldwide and work with big and small companies, communities and producers of raw materials to create compelling cases of transformation. With an innovative and entrepreneurial spirit, we work on the ground with people to create inspiring transformation stories. We focus on creating value, engage without judging and carry hope and a positive vision of the future.
What Makes Us Unique
Beyond providing advice on policy set up based on our strong technical expertise, we see the world through interactions and relationships. Operating between two worlds (NGO-Companies/Buyer-Supplier), we encourage our partners to look inside, and are not only their environmental conscience. In addition to traceability and assessments, we create and innovate solutions to the challenges companies and communities face. We do this by getting into the field and seeing first-hand the reality, from which we co-create actions that see improvements over time.
What We Offer
- A unique work experience in a values-based, ethical non-profit directly affecting the conservation of the environment and improvements in human rights and social equity through supply chains;
- A dynamic environment with the chance to work in a multi-cultural and multi-functional teams;
- The opportunity to foster a strong team and team dynamic;
- The opportunity to lead complex projects, build customer relationships and develop new business, withexposure to very wide range of topics;
- The ability to contribute to positive impacts on environment and social areas;
- The ability to build a comprehensive understanding of the reality through field based missions.
Responsibilities and Scope
- Project team leaderships overseeing multiple projects and providing direction/guidance to a small team of project managers and their staff. The Team Lead will also periodically participate in strategic senior management planning and business development meetings;
- Support the administrative and management of the country program;
- Conduct field audits / gap assessments of product supply chains against responsible sourcingprocedures (e.g. legality and traceability systems) and International certification standards (e.g. FSC, PEFC, CFCC, and RSPO). The focus will initially be on viscose/textiles and palm oil with expansion into the pulp & paper, solid wood products, agricultural product and rubber sectors;
- Review product supply chains and undertake GAP assessments against the standards/sourcing requirements. Compile findings into concise reports and prepare logical & workable action plans towards addressing non-compliance in the supply chain;
- Prepare supply chain databases, GIS maps, supply chain maps, technical reports;
- Support the preparation of workshops, seminars or other events to raise awareness and address supplychain issue;.
- Prepare site visit & meeting records, and maintain communications with EF China, EF clients andstakeholders as required.
Requirements – Candidate Profile Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor degree or higher in environmental science, natural resource management, forestry, agriculture, agronomy, timber and agriculture related supply chain management, chemical engineering, or related field;
- At least 15 years’ professional work experience, and a minimum of 5 years spent in managing projects and teams/staff. Preference will be given to candidates with staff management experience;
- Ideally, at least 5 years’ professional experience working with supply chains in either pulp and paper, forests and extractive industries or other agriculture commodities. Preference for candidates with experience dealing with complex supply chains (logistics and management) with links to sustainability and legality requirements;
- Proven experience working with companies to achieve international third party certification preferred, such as FSC CoC, PEFC, CFCC, and RSPO. Preference will also be given to candidate with strong textile chemical experience;
- Working knowledge of MS Office, GIS, supply chain mapping software, data analysis and presentation skills are desirable;
- Ability to work both independently and in a small team;
- Ability to prioritize and organize his or her own work schedule with minimum supervision.
- Chinese (mandarin) essential;
- Proficiency in English (speaking, writing and reading).
- Passion for working on issues related to sustainability and supply chains;
- Hands-on, practical, innovative;
- Flexible, mature, liking to take initiative/be proactive and having a naturally positive attitude;
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work autonomously;
- Good ability to prioritise and keep focus on the bigger targets;
- Committment to EF values:
Focus on action and on-the-ground healing results; Courageous, entrepreneurial spirit; Client-focused; Open and constructive collaboration and communication; Humility and compassion; Respect for each other.
Working conditions / Physical effort:
- Based in Beijing, China;
- Regular business trips to client offices, forests and factories in remote and rural regions, which mayinclude stays in rustic conditions.
- 2-year contract, extension possible subject to performance and available funding;
- Immediate start;
- Chinese citizenship/valid work authorization required;
- Foreign nationals with China working visa are also encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates meeting the above mentioned requirements are invited to send a cover letter and CV via email to email@example.com by September 12rd 2019. Please put your “Family name” and “Team Lead Beijing” in the subject line of the email. We will contact successful candidates by email for an initial interview. The position will be open until filled.