Contract Duration 12 months
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative in charge of Communication, Innovation and Partnership, the Innovation and Communications Officer will be responsible for the strategic design and implementation of innovation and communication strategies, providing technical guidance as well as partnership building and management, and resource mobilisation under the innovation portfolio
Innovation and Communications Officer works in close collaboration with the Sustainable Development Programme, the Global Cooperation Cluster and the Operations teams, staff of other UN Agencies, ensuring successful UNDP communications and innovation strategy implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Support the planning and design of internal and external strategies on innovation for development
• Conduct of innovation needs assessments for CO (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc) and map the context/ development challenges, with a particular focus on understanding systemic issues beyond traditional silos/classifications and identifying drivers of change for intervention.
• Ensure horizon scanning to map local trends, developments, players, under the radar solutions, and future challenges in the areas of programmatic interest and for support to the Regional Innovation Center
• Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals for elaboration of the CO innovation strategy based on corporate strategic priorities and the UNDP HQ innovation guidelines.
• Facilitate the provision of technical advisory services to innovate the programme and policy portfolios of the CO, leveraging technology and product innovation to respond to SDG-related challenges both in China and abroad and showcase the tech/product advancements for further international positioning of national innovative capacity
• Facilitate and provide advisory services to programme and operations colleagues on the design and conduction of experiments and development of prototypes. Design engaging and meaningful methods for reflection on learning from experiments
• Support the design of a portfolio of experiments on programmatic area of interest of the government (national, local) jointly with the Regional Innovation Center
• Generate new ideas and approaches and identify entry points through working extensively with the programme and policy teams, conduct analytical research best practices and propose new & more effective ways of doing thing
2. Ensures the implementation of the CO innovation strategy and plan
• Effective implementation of the CO innovation strategy and plan.
• Serve as the portfolio manager of the CO innovation efforts, managing innovation proposals, selecting eligible CO projects for support, overseeing the work-out-loud component, managing financial resources allocated and provide regular updates to the Senior Management
• Provide facilitation of the employment of next generation knowledge sharing and techniques absorption within the CO including artificial intelligence, behavior insight, blockchain, challenge prizes, collective intelligence, Internet of Things
• Provide capacity building training for UNDP staff, partner staff, government counterparts and other end users in the country in the use of innovation products and processes
• Provide support on regional innovation strategy/action plan upon request
3. Support planning and design of CO’s communications and advocacy strategy and ensures the implementation of the CO communications strategy and plan
• Provide advice to the design and formulation of communications and advocacy strategies and action plans
• Provide advice on the rolling out of branding efforts and media events such as press conferences and interviews, as well as social media advocacy campaigns
• Work out loud and provide quality assurance for the outreach and communications plan for the CO programmes and knowledge-sharing events
4. Provides support to CO’s Partnership and Resource Mobilization efforts
• Map and engage key players in China’s technology ecosystem, understand it needs and opportunities and start strategic partnership conversation with the most able and interested ones
• Provide advice on partnership building and resource mobilization for innovation and communication, fostering and managing relationships of partners in line with the CO guidelines and compliances
• Analyze potential partners for innovation for the CO, scan the market and approaches potential new partners, develops an extensive network with organizations, private sectors, academia striving for innovation in China
5. Facilitation of knowledge building and management
• Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities
• Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
• Liaise with the Regional Innovation Center and the UNDP’s Accelerator Lab network and share learnings and insights from the country-specific experience.
• Provision of trainings for UNDP staff on internal and external innovation for development
• Professional growth through active learning.
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree in media relations, journalism, marketing and other related fields.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
At least seven years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications, innovation and related fields
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems
Experience and knowledge in social innovation approaches
Ability to design experiments, validate hypotheses and test prototypes
Fluency in English and national language of the duty station. Other official language of the UN will be desirable
All female and male candidates are equally encouraged to apply.