Contract Duration 6 months
China has become a major emerging player in global governance, able to share its valuable experience with the entire international community, acting at the same time as a bridge-builder between institutions and nations in the sustainable development era. China takes a proactive role in shaping new initiatives which complement existing global governance mechanisms. For instance, the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) has been growing steadily with many countries and international organizations engaged.
Since the launch of UNDP China Global Governance Initiative in 2012, UNDP China has become a key partner of the Government of China in international development cooperation and the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. UNDP is recognized as a bridge between China and the world – both regarding the understanding of development context, as a channel for international development assistance, and as part of and beyond South-South cooperation. The Chinese government counterparts have characterized UNDP as a chosen partner for advising on development cooperation and integrated development approaches in line with the SDGs.
On the margins of the 71st UN General Assembly session in September 2016, UNDP and the government of China signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation on the BRI. This was followed by an Action Plan signed in May 2017 during the first Belt and Road Forum. In the meantime, China Development Bank (CDB) was designated as an implementing partner of the Action Plan and a Joint Statement from May 2017 formalized this cooperation. This strategic partnership highlights UNDP’s firm commitment to facilitating sustainable development across BRI partner countries and putting the 2030 Agenda into action. In the list of deliverables of the 2nd BRI forum, the National Development and Reform Commission of China and UNDP co-initiated the Belt and Road Innovation and Development Joint Programme, authorizing the China Development Bank to execute in the name of the Innovation and Development Centre under the project.
Towards this end, the office is looking for a Partnership and Programme Coordinator to support the work of promoting strategic partnerships through the organization of high-level events, partnership coordination, and programme implementation under the BRI for Sustainable Development Team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Team Leader of the BRI for Sustainable Development, he/she is expected to:
1) Strengthen strategic partnerships with key counterparts on BRI, especially government agencies, financial institutions, and business sectors.
• Maintain and strengthen partnerships with key government counterparts as well as financial institutions and business sectors to ensure effective partnership at working level;
• Facilitate communication and enhance the flow of information with internal and external partners;
• Implement the partnership framework or strategy.
2) Conduct the project management under the BRI Joint Programme/Centre
• Coordinate the implementation of various project activities under the BRI joint programme with Chinese government and other stakeholders;
• Preparation and draft programme/ project concepts and full-fledged proposals;
• Provide programme and administrative support in the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on program implementation arrangements;
• Prepare, organize and facilitate information-gathering, field study, and project-related research and country scoping visits;
• Conduct and facilitate pre and post-project implementation evaluation activities especially in terms of the environmental and social impact.
3) Contribute to the planning, organization, and coordination of high-level events
• Provide advice on the planning and organization of high-level BRI and Global Governance related events (e.g., forum, roundtables, training workshops, field visits) to demonstrate the pilot programme, including agenda setting, invitation, and on-site coordination;
• Provide support to the logistics and coordination of the participation in such events of high-level international and national experts including UNDP senior managers;
• Assist in the production of event materials (e.g., concept note, briefing note, talking points, scenario, logistic notes, etc.);
• Liaise with the communications focal point in-country and the media & outreach consultant to ensure smooth and timely preparation of all media material for publication and print.
Other relevant responsibilities as assigned by the team leader.
• Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
• Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards.
• Ability to liaise with stakeholders and partners, including governments, research institutions, civil society, etc.
• Ability to work independently as well as work collaboratively with the team.
• Openness to change and the ability to receive/integrate feedback.
• Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines and to deliver high-quality work on time.
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Required Skills and Experience
• A bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Management, Political Science, International Development, Economics, Social Science or related fields is highly favoured. Candidates with undergraduate degrees and extensive relevant experience will also be considered.
• At least 4 years of relevant professional experience with financial institutions, governments, or international development agencies, with excellent knowledge in finance, programme management, partnership coordination, and event organization.
• Experience working with UN organizations/ agencies, governmental offices, and international organizations preferred;
• Knowledge of office management systems and procedures.
• Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise work.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask.
• Fluency – both oral and written – in English and Chinese required; knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.