The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. UN Environment China Office is responsible for coordinating, promoting and assisting the implementation of UN Environment programmes and initiatives in partnership with the Chinese Government, international organizations, and other stakeholders, notably on greening Belt and Road Initiatives, resource and energy efficiency, outreach to public and youth, environment and health.
Under the supervision of the Programme Management Officer of UN Environment China Office, the incumbent will be responsible for leading activities in China, for the efficient and effective management and implementation of Global Environment Outlook outreach activities, youth and GEO environmental education programme, development and implementation of sand and dust storm and combating desertification communication and outreach activities in China. The incumbent will also ensure effective relationship management with the major sponsors to the GEO initiative in China.
The Programme Associate, under the supervision of the management of the China Office, will work in close collaboration with colleagues from relevant Divisions including the Science Division, Asia and the Pacific Office, Environment under Review Coordination Team, as well with partners relevant to the successful implementation of the activities
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
• Development and implementation of overall workplan for Global Environment Outlook outreach activities in China, including:
• Development and implementation of youth and GEO environmental education programmes in China
• Development and implementation of a Communication and Outreach plan and activities with partners
• development and implementation of sand and dust storm and combating desertification communication and outreach activities in China,
• Support to project management of all project activity components, and their financial and budget management, reporting and evaluations
• Coordinate with the Communications teams of the Regional office and Communications Division on workplans and activities to ensure well coordinated joint planning and execution of high profile and visibility of activities and events.
• Play an active role in communications and relationship management with Elion Foundation and other partners, as well as facilitate new partnerships for the project activities and outreach
• Coordinate with relevant Programme staff in the Regional office and Divisions on the programme linkages for development of awareness of Outlook priorities, and content for education programme and communications
• Contribute towards China office in its overall communications, partnerships, resource mobilization as well as efficiency of its finance and operations management
1. Development and implementation of overall workplan for Global Environment Outlook outreach activities in China, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Support to development and production of the youth version of sixth Global Environment Outlook – Asia-Pacific in English and Chinese languages for both its E-book and printed version;
• Plan and organize launch/outreach activities for the youth version in China;
• Design and organize communication activities and public awareness campaigns to raise the public awareness and understanding on UN Environment priorities, based on Global Environment Outlook and targeting youth and business sector;
• Support to preparation and organization of Kubuqi International Desert Forum;
• Support the Belt and Road future environment leader environment education and training including the Belt and Road youth summer camp and other related youth campaign based on Global Environmental Outlook series of reports;
• Prepare and produce information documents on, papers and newsletters to brief the stakeholders the progress and impacts of the projects; and
• Take initiatives to identify and communicate with project partners.
2. Support to administrative and finance management for effective projects implementation to deliver expected outcomes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Play an active role in budget planning and finance management of the projects to ensure the effective use of the financial resources to deliver expected projects outcomes;
• Support the formulation of tangible deliverables of projects such as reports, publications, outreach materials (briefs, posters in E-version and printed copies), training workshops and training materials for subsequent distribution;
• Assist China Office Administration team, Bangkok Office and HQs on project management and financial reporting;
• Initiate discussions with China Office Administration team on budget and expenditure status, and plan for revisions, if necessary; and
• Take initiatives to identify and communicate with new partners for resource mobilization.
3. Corporate Support to UN Environment China office
• Collection, analysis and presentation of information for identification of areas for support to programme strategy and projects formulation/ implementation;
• Participate in conferences and meetings, as required, to represent the UN Environment China Office;
• Play an active role on China Office’s communication and collaboration with partners and stakeholders on relevant fields to support implementation of Sustainable Development Goals and poverty reduction in China; and
• Play an active role in UN country team and UN Environment China Office’s outreach activities, and support to development of promotional materials, including brochures, press briefings and other documents, as required.
Information for advocacy
Level 1.1: Support the preparation of information for advocacy
Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Level 1.1: Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors
Maintains database of project files
Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
Fundamental knowledge of environmental protect and sustainable development
Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UN Environment’s Goals
Level 1.1: Research and analysis
Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UN Environment’s goals for a variety of audiences
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
Responds to client needs promptly
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental studies, natural sciences, education, information management, economics, administration or related area. Prior experience in international organizations would be an advantage.
• Understanding of key environmental policy issues in China and regionally, particularly in relation to dry-land ecosystem management, sand storm and desertification sustainable development and livelihood security in China’s dryland regions;
• Understanding of youth engagement and environment education;
• Multimedia communication experience;
• Project managerial and administrative experience;
• 3~4 years of relevant programme working experience at the national or international level;
• Knowledge of and working experience inside UN agencies is an asset;
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
• Sound organizational skills, ability to self- prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks on tight deadlines;
• Demonstrated excellence in synthesizing and presenting information;
• Good writing skills in English and Chinese;
• Team spirit and self-motivation;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;Commitment
Language and computer skills:
• Fluency in oral and written English and Chinese is essential.
• Good knowledge of office related software is needed.